Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Should I stay or should I go?

Today my boss asked if I would consider going to Dubai.  As I stood there slack jawed and shocked he explained the position.  It would be a contract assingnment for a year, working as an admin, and for $126,000.  I almost passed out! 

I have a couple of things running through my mind. 
  • What an honor to be considered for a position in another country. 
  • The money!
  • How exciting to see a different part of the world.
  • Ummmm, the money!
  • I would miss my family, especially my kiddos.
  • Did I mention the money?!?
  • Skype and my computer would be my best friend.
  • Money isn't everything, but it sure would help.
I've talked to Hubby and surprisingly he said to go.  My plan is to talk to my boss tomorrow.  We will go from there. 


Marlee said...

Wow, what a decision! Personally I would go, but I love the idea of moving and i don't have any kids, so i'd probably be a bad person to ask. Hope whatever you decide works out for you though!!

Baby Weight and Beyond said...

Wow - that is amazing! I have a friend who is working in Abu Dabi and he said the hours are incredibly long and your living expenses are HUGE! He said it is an amazing place to go but it is a very different way of life.

Joy said...

Wow, what an awesome opportunity! Def. ask your boss lots of questions, including what the housing would be like (will they pay?) and if there are any sort of allowances for daily expenses (food, etc.). The reason I say this is because Dubai is crazy expensive, so while $126,00 sounds like a lot, you would be surprised how much it might cost you to live there so it might not be 'worth it' over the course of a year, if you get what I'm saying. Although between you and me, I would want to go just for the experience; it would be amazing!! I'll be excited to hear updates on this!! :) Best of luck in your decision making!

FatAngryBlog said...

Wow, what an opportunity. Can you really leave the kids though?

HS @ Our Debt Blog said...

GO!!!! ONLY 12 MONTHS!!!!!


Mer and Mo said...

WOW - what a spectacular opportunity. And if I remember correctly this is a fairly new job - to go from not working, to working at a great place to now getting the chance to even be offered this type of position - wow - wow - wow - so many things to think about. I sure the decision will be a good one, either way.


arielcircleofnine said...

I dont think I could be away from my kids or family for a year....but like you said--the money! LOL--a lot to think about and a lot of questions to ask as others suggested! Good luck :-)

Anonymous said...

Holy cow - what an amazing opportunity! With technology today - I am sure the year will fly by - can't wait to see what you decide!

Shabby Chic Mom- Susie said...

We live in CA and my hubby was just offered a great promotion just over in another state AZ.
After long and hard we chose not to move. The money would have been great, but leaving our family and friends and we sure as heck did not want to deal with 120 degree days in the summer. Just write out the pros and cons. Good luck with your decision.

fatgirlwearingthin said...

HOLY COW!! What an opportunity!!! Glad to see that your boss values your worth. Let me know what you decide to do!

Ellie said...

It sounds like the most amazing of opportunities. Definitely something you really need to think about, but how many chances like this come along in a lifetime?

Grace. said...

What an opportunity! Do what is in your heart, it might be a tough decision but you and your family will know. :)

Grace @ The Wannabe Former Fatgirl

Mer and Mo said...

Sooooooooo - are you staying or are you going? Hoping that things are working out and that you are doing well. Have a GREAT weekend!

Staying MOtivated MO

Anonymous said...

We are dying here?!?!

Post a Comment