CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 14, 2011

How we met

Since it's our anniversary and Valentine's Day, I decided to share our own love story. 

Hubby and I actually met back in 2000.  I was a senior in high school (17 years old) and he was the bad boy rebel (20 years old).  We dated for several months and I was "in love"  Whatever love was to a 17 year old girl.  I thought that I would marry this man and had fantasies of our wedding day.  Yeah, it was a bit over the top.

Us back in 2000.

It came as a shock when the jerk broke up with me because he was turning 21.  His high school girlfriend wouldn't be able to accompany him to the bars.  There was no point in having me wait around for him when his only goal was to get wasted as much as possible.  This was a major heart break and I cried for several days/months. 

We kept in contact through email (and a few drunken late night calls when he "couldn't live without me"), but we eventually just lost contact.  Life went on.  I got married and had kids, but I always wondered what happened to him.  I searched for him a couple of times on the internet (just to see how he was) but I was never successful in finding him. 

Suddenly, I was faced with a divorce after almost 7 years of marriage.  I took a couple of months for myself and focused on my boys.  One day I thought of him and wondered if I would be able to find him.  The first search and his name popped up with a distorted picture.  I held my breath while I typed an email asking if it was really him.  It was a "hey, how are you" type email and nothing romantic.  A couple days passed and I finally get a response.  My heart skipped a beat when I read, "Yes, it is me.  Is this the girl that I so foolishly let slip away because I wanted to get drunk?" 

We emailed back and forth for about 2 weeks before we decided to meet for lunch.  We were both in the process of a divorce and wanted to take things very slowly.  Coming out of an unsuccessful relationship can put you on guard.  Not to mention, the last time we dated we didn't have "adult" problems to deal with.  We were both toally different people.  After that lunch, we have been unseperable. 

After our divorces were final we hit the ground running.  We waited for a couple of months before the kids were introduced and then came the decision to move in together (or I should say me and the boys move to his house).  It was difficult to join families, but somehow we made it work (and are still making it work).

One of our first photos together - the second time around

I wish I could say that I had some great proposal, but really that's not the hubs.  He isn't the romantic type who plans occasions.  One day we talked about marriage and he asked simply asked "why not just do it".  We planned a very small, friends and family type wedding ceremony at my parent's home.  We were surrounded by the people we love the most and it was such a beautiful day.

Today I wish all of you a very love filled Valentine's Day.  To the man who still makes my toes curl I wish a Happy 1st Anniversary. 

11 comments:

Christie said...

Awww...good story!

Shabby Chic Mom said...

So sweet, thank you for sharing!!! Happy anniversary and vday!!

Vagabonds Mercantile said...

Happy Anniversary.
Adults often laugh when a teenager says they are in love " you don't know what love is ".
But I can't tell you how many people I know who have married their high school love, including myself. Dateing at 16, engaged at 19, Married at 21, first child at 24,second child at 28, hit a small rough patch at 32 but back better then ever now. Only 33 yrs old and have spent half my life with the love of my life.
I'm so glad you two managed to find your way back to each other.

The Ninja said...

What a lovely story, thanks for sharing it with us. I hope your day is very romantic and fun.

Mom to the Fourth Power said...

Very sweet!! How totally cool to find each other after all those years. Gave me goose bumps!!! You two look so happy and cute together. Happy Valentine's Day!!

~Margene

Steph @ Thoughts From Cali said...

Such a sweet story. Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Curling toes is the most important of all. Glad you two found each other again.

Ellie said...

What a sweet and heartwarming story. Its so amazing to hear that people can reconnect like you two have done.

Anonymous said...

Love it! Happy Anniversary lady!

Unknown said...

What a sweet story. It's the few like those that can make you feel like everything works out exactly like it's supposed to, in it's own timing. Congrats to you both for finding each other the second time around :)

arielcircleofnine said...

sooo sweet!!! Happy anniversary!

Post a Comment