CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Big Pajamas and Shopping

Last night, hubby and I had a much needed date night.  No kiddos, adult conversations, steak dinner, and the Harry Potter movie.....it was heaven.  We got home in the wee hours of the morning and all I wanted to do was to climb into bed and get some much need beauty rest.  Probably not what he wanted to do, but we won't go there.  As I was going through my pajamas, I noticed a pair at the very bottom that haven't been worn in forever.  The last time I tried to wear them the top was too short and would show my very pronounced belly.  Not something you want to parade around in with 3 little kids who like to call you fat.  As I'm putting on the pants they are falling off and the shirt is swimming on me (my belly was completely covered).  I wore them anyways just because.  It's a nice change to have something baggy and not worry about it not fitting.

This morning as we are milling around the kitchen looking for breakfast, hubby comes up behind me to pull at my pants.  He says, "Oh shit, those things are huge on you.  I think it's time for some new clothes."  I've been thinking the same thing, but I've been hesitant.  I can't afford a new wardrobe everytime I lose 20 pounds.  I've tried getting things second hand or at Goodwill, but it's few and far between finding used big girl clothes.  Then what do you do with the really big clothes in the closet?  I'm freaking scared of throwing all of it away and then gaining weight back.  Sure, I tell myself that I will never be this big again but in the back of my mind I don't trust myself. 

10 comments:

NAN said...

NO NO get rid of the too big clothes! You won't need them again and say you do get pregnant again someday, you can buy a few quality cute things. That is what I did when I was pregnant at 39. Treat yourself to a few new clothes now- you can probably get by with some jeans and slacks and a couple of tops. No elastic waists either heehee- my BIL swears that is one reason his weight got away from him- he lost 75 pounds twice on Atkins and now only wears pants that need a belt! I have no luck at Goodwill or our Hospice store but there are some decent consignment shops here in town- I wear my 'uniforms' out though; always have regardless of size.

Jayne Doe said...

It's totally tough. I buy 2nd hand stuff and I also will buy new stuff but only cheapie Walmart stuff for now.

And I tend to hang on to the other stuff "just in case" since last time I got rid of it all and then needed to buy new.

haven't decided what to do this time around because I really feel like it's off for good.

Vagabonds Mercantile said...

Keeping clothes that are too big is giving yourself permission to gain it back. If you want to have any change at all to keep it of don't prepare yourself to fail.

I am currently on a buy when need to basis. I have two pairs of pants that i wear regularly and that's really all i need. If i need something I go out and buy it. I find that Marshall's , TjMaxx and Ross are good places to find things you will like without breaking the bank.

Shannie (akaSolidice242) said...

I know exactly how you feel about keeping bigger clothes. I am indecisive on this as well. I have no idea what to do with my clothes but I am pretty sure I am getting rid of them. If you start to gain the weight back and you have nothing to wear and no money to buy bigger clothes you have no other choice but to get back on track.

E. Jane said...

I agree with others that getting rid of clothes that are too big is very important. Having them around is like a security blanket that plays mind games with your weight loss program. "We're still here if you need us." Get rid of them! There are places to buy decent inexpensive clothes, such as Target, Walmart, Kohl's, and T.J. Maxx. You'll feel better having clothes that fit and show off your weight loss. Good for you losing the weight!

the strawberry said...

I love big clothes!! I think it's a better measure than the scale of how much we've changed. I feel you on the new wardrobe every 20lbs, I for one can't afford it. Luckily I wear scrubs at work, so a simple tightening of the drawstring will make them last longer. I'm also getting rid of my bigger clothes as I lose- I don't want them there as a "just in case" because there won't be a going back this time. I promise getting rid of them will feel awesome :)

Farewell2Fat4Ever said...

I love to find old clothes that are now too big! Awesome feeling! But, I agree, get rid of them! Our subconscious minds know they are there and they'll creep back into the "usable" portion of our closets too easily! :) Happy shopping!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the clothes being too big! I buy all my clothes at Good Will - but it helps that I go about once a week to find stuff.

Unknown said...

That's exactly what I did - bought from Goodwill and just kept recycling until I got got to goal. But it can be SO frustrating when everything there is a 'one of a kind'. Either your size is there or it isn't, or what IS there is just plain ugly. Was your husband hinting at giving you a little pre-Christmas cash for a new outfit or two??

Kimberly said...

Get rid of the clothes. If you hold on to them you are giving yourself permission to regain the weight.

Post a Comment